Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Great Sanddunes

And my final station of our road trip brought me to the destination of my very first road trip through Colorado: the Great Sanddunes National Park. From all national monuments and parks in Colorado this is my favorite. There are not that many places around where you have 14,000 ft (4,200+ m) mountains surrounding high plains, a small dessert in one corner and a little creek in between all of this!

You might wonder why those pictures are a bit blurry... well, it seems like I have no luck with digital cameras lately... my first one got stolen in Steamboat Springs beginning of this month and my second one broke after we left the Black Canyon. So we ended up with one of these disposable cameras. Surprisingly it was working quite well and we had at least some pictures taken in the sand dunes.

And Torsten was up for climbing the highest dune as well which takes around two hours of hiking through the sand... one step forward followed by 1/2 step sliding down the slope again. But the view is reward enough!

Later that day we went already back to Denver... for a dinner with friends at my favorite restaurant... stay tuned!

No comments: